Did you know that each month has a traditional Catholic devotion? This year, let’s focus on each devotion month-by-month to grow in our faith and traditions! Make yourself notes, write them on your calendar, and pray a specific prayer each day of the month to remember. You could use a prayer already associated with the devotion or pray a personal one.
“I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament,” J.R.R. Tolkien is often quoted.
For this month of April, devoted to the Blessed Sacrament, you probably expected a saint quote or Catechism reference, but this famous author of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit says something the saints would all agree with (and, rumor has it, there is a case for his canonization).
Instead of loving idols, let’s worship and adore Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. This month we also celebrate Holy Week, when Christ gave His life for us and rose again! When He ascended into heaven, He did not abandon us. In fact, His mercy is endless, which on April 11th we celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday. Learn to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet, check out our guide. He is truly present in the Eucharist, and we are surrounded by the Holy Spirit.
If you don’t fully embrace the Eucharist as the True Presence of Jesus Christ, His Body, and Blood, perhaps read up on it and pray for God’s guidance to help any unbelief in you about it.
1. Is it hard for you to understand that Jesus is present in the Eucharist?
2. Why do you think Jesus comes to us in this unrecognizable form? Why wouldn’t He make it more obvious to us that He is present?
3. What can you do to increase your belief in the Eucharist?
4. How do the Eucharistic miracles encourage you? Why do you think there are not more miracles of the Eucharist?
5. How does the Eucharist impact your life?